December 10, 2009
Bone Gunn Interview
Today we chat with one of our most interesting artists yet – Bryan Kane from Bone Gunn. Shunning all genre labels, they play what inspires them. And with influences including Brittany Spears and Sesame Street, that can range from pop to rock to heavy metal styles.
Intrigued yet? Check ‘em out below.
1. Bryan, you’ve been open about your somewhat troubled past. How has all of that influenced your music?
I wouldn’t call it “troubled” as much as i would call it “full.” I am in constant pursuit of experience, and in that regard my past is the most influential part of the music. I like to believe the variety in my compositions is directly linked to the many ventures my heart has subscribed to.
2. How did you guys all meet and start playing together?
The whole truth of the answer to this question is worth a novel or two by itself. It will have to suffice to say someone solved a cosmic Rubik’s Cube and out came Bone Gunn.
3. You guys do a lot of experimental stuff on the new EP. Any conscious ideas that guided that process or is it mostly improvisation?
Improvisation is almost never an element of Bone Gunn. It tends to be more like the handy work of an architect. That said, on rare occasion we ride chaos as far is it will take us.
4. Who are some of your biggest musical influences?
Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Bing Crosby, Seseme Street Live, Pavoratti, and last but not least, bricks smashing through glass followed by a molotov.
5. You guys toured Japan in 2008. What was that like and are there any memorable experiences you can share?
Japan is the most perfect country for musicians! Every single club, big or small, has talented sounding men. Most of the clubs have a stage curtain (never underestimate the power of a curtain).
We spent 5 hours in customs when we arrived. That was memorable! We tricked our guitar player into believing he was about to be deported! We played 11 shows in 12 days. I’ll stop there before this answer becomes a book.
6. The Bone Gunn style is hard to classify, so how do you think you fit into the Brooklyn music scene?
We have given up on “fitting in” with any music scene. We have played to an assortment of crowds. We play everything from pop to metal, and we are nearly always recieved with the reaction of “I don’t know what this is but I think I like it.”
7. Do you have a favorite venue around the Boston area? One that energizes you more than others?
I couldn’t possibly pick a favorite venue as of yet. NYC is simply ALIVE!
8. If you could tour with any other band, who would that be and why?
I would tour with the Flaming Lips. Although I own little of their material, I have seen them live on a few occations and I believe their showmanship would be a nightly inspiration. I don’t think I’ve seen a better live show. Lady Gaga wouldn’t be bad either!
9. What would you like to accomplish with your music?
World domination, what else?
10. Where can people go for information about where to see you live?
People can find info about us most easily at www.myspace.com/bonegunn.
Bone Gunn also blogs about touring, concert dates, and everything else at bonegunn.blogspot.com and you can follow their antics on twitter at @bonegunn.
Posted by A. Sogal at 6:10 am