December 31, 2009
Throw the Fight Interview
The five members of Throw the Fight put all they have into their music. According to guitarist Ryan Baustert, “Rock is everything. To us, there’s nothing else.” Ryan, along with bandmates James, Aaron, Joey and Cory, form this passionate group based in Minneapolis.
We chatted with Ryan a bit about how the current incarnation of the band came about, and plans for the future. Check it out.
1. You guys were voted one of the top 10 unsigned bands back in 2006. How were things different after that?
That piece definitely helped us get some great exposure. We ended up signing our contract with Warner 5 or 6 months after that piece, so it really helped put us on the map and assured us that what we were doing was on the right track.
2. What was it like recording that first EP without James? Did you know you needed him?
At the time, no, we didn’t know we needed James. We were focused on putting out the best possible product with the members we had. Sometimes it just takes a while to find the right people.
3. How did James end up becoming Throw The Fight’s frontman?
We ended up tracking our whole album when we decided that we needed to let our old vocalist, Paul, go. We knew James from doing previous shows with his old band, The Payback. So we had him come in and audition. It turned out to be exactly what we were looking for. We retracked all the vocal parts and wrote new melodies and lyrics with James.
4. How would you say you changed as a band after making James the fifth member?
The biggest change is lyrically and sonically. The goals, however, have always remained the same.
5. Who are some of your biggest musical influences?
We’re big fans of the old punk bands like Pennywise and Face to Face. But we’re also fans of Killswitch Engage, Atreyu, Story of the Year, Thrice, etc.
6. How is James doing in his battle against cancer?
He’s doing well and is pretty much back to normal. He had his surgery and one round of chemo. Now it’s back to business! [Awesome, we're glad to hear it! - SendMe]
7. Glad to see you guys promoting Livestrong and the Lance Armstrong Foundation. Were you happy with the results of your benefit show for James back in September?
Absolutely. According to the venue, it was the highest drawing all-local-band show of the year. We raised a lot of money for James and the cause, so we couldn’t ask for more than that.
8. How are things going on the new record? Anything new that you think will surprise fans?
The new demos are going well. We’re just going to stick to our sound but expand on it musically and lyrically. We are going to be tracking in some lower tunings so it will definitely be a heavier sound.
9. I know you guys weren’t able to tour widely this summer, for obvious reasons. But your schedule looks like your now able to venture well away from Minneapolis. What’s the best part about touring again?
Definitely. We plan on hitting the road again first thing in 2010. Playing live and connecting with fans is what it’s all about in the first place.
10. Now that you’re all back out on the road, where should people go for more information about where to see you live?
All confirmed dates are up on throwthefight.com, myspace.com/throwthefight, Purevolume, Reverbnation, etc.
There it is. Throw the Fight’s upcoming album is due out in the new year. In the meantime, go have a listen to In Pursuit of Tomorrow and The Fire Within.
Posted by A. Sogal at 7:09 am